eyebright

My eyes have really been hurting lately. I know that I wear my contact lenses too much but they don't usually irritate this much. After about a week of real discomfort in the afternoons, it dawned on me that I could of course treat my eyes with eyebright (euphrasia) herb, as I sell it nearly every other day in the shop!

I made some weak tea with dried eyebright herb and washed my eyes with it. They felt much better straight away, and I plan to use it for a few days (and try to wear my glasses) and let you know how it goes. The dried herb looks like little black sticks, nothing like the pretty flowers in the picture! Here is some blurb on what eyebright does:

Eyebright tightens the mucous membranes of the eye and appears to relieve the inflammation of conjunctivitis and blepharitis. Its ability to counter catarrh means that it is often used for infectious and allergic conditions affecting the eyes, middle ear, sinuses and nasal passages.

The whole plant is anti-inflammatory, astringent, digestive, ophthalmic and slightly tonic. It is taken internally in the treatment of catarrh, sinusitis, hay fever, upper respiratory tract infections etc. As an ophthalmic, an infusion of the plant can be taken internally or used as an eye wash.

Posted byKarma at Wednesday, February 15, 2006  

0 comments:

Post a Comment